Can I Give My Dog Beer?

Can I Give My Dog Beer?Lots of folks enjoy a cold beer after a hard day’s work. Maybe you’d also like to have one with man’s best friend, but is it really okay to give your dog alcoholic beer?

Dogs that consume alcohol, including beer, can experience symptoms ranging from vomiting to brain damage and even death. No matter how much they beg, alcoholic beverages should be off limits for your pet.

Longer term, and just like in humans, beer consumption can bring about serious damage to your dog’s organs including their kidneys, the liver and the brain. Don’t do it!

Can I Give My Dog Beer? Answer: No

It may be funny to watch an intoxicated dog stumble around but beer should never be given to canines.

If you see your dog acting drunk, you’ve already gone too far! Some people can safely give their dogs a very moderate amount of beer, and it may be harmless, but it’s too risky to recommend. However, a toy beer bottle harmless and funny!

Beer Health Risks

Liver damage – A dog’s liver is small and they’ll have a hard time processing the alcohol in beer. Liver damage is irreparable and can be fatal. Unless you want to put Fido on dialysis, keep them away from beer.

Dehydration – Drinking beer instead of water will not hydrate your pet. Dogs need plenty of water to stay healthy. Drinking beer depletes them of water and also essential electrolytes. Minerals like sodium, chloride and potassium are lost following dehydration. It’s a diuretic!

Physical depression – When they drink too much beer their central nervous system slows down and becomes depressed. Canines can lose coordination, their heart rate and breathing will slow down and slipping into a coma is possible.

Cardiac Arrest – High levels of alcohol in your dog’s system can make their blood too acidic inducing cardiac arrest.

Low blood sugar – Beer or any other alcohol can cause your pooch’s blood sugar to drop. Low blood sugar causes seizures and brain damage.

Kidney damage – The kidneys filter blood, balance water and electrolytes in the blood stream. Alcoholic beer can disrupt or damage canine kidneys. Without proper kidney function, your dog will get very sick or die.

K9 Alcohol Symptoms

If a dog drinks beer or wine or any other alcoholic beverage, ethanol is absorbed into their body. Their metabolism can’t process ethanol as well as you. Size matters greatly when consuming alcohol and so dogs can get poisoned more quickly and more seriously.

Any dog drinking too much beer, either on purpose or by accident, will likely get alcohol poisoning. Symptoms to look out for, before it’s too late, in such a situation are:

  • Changes in mood
  • Confusion
  • Hyperactivity
  • Loss of coordination
  • Increased urination
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Decreased temperature
  • Seizures

If they consume even a small amount of alcohol on an empty stomach, you may see symptoms in as little as thirty minutes. If your dog has recently eaten, you may not notice any signs for one or two hours. Observable drunkenness is much more serious than when you see a drunk person because dogs simply can’t handle the effects.

Alcohol Poisoning Treatment

If you think your dog might be sick from drinking beer, get them to a veterinarian ASAP. Fortunately, most dogs can be successfully treated for alcohol poisoning if taken to a vet in time. In most cases, the vet will draw blood to measure your dog’s blood alcohol content and check for damage to internal organs.

Treatment may include activated charcoal which can help remove alcohol from your dog’s blood stream. They’ll also likely provide IV fluids to re-hydrate and stabilize blood sugar levels. If you got your best friend the proper treatment in time, they should begin to recover from an alcohol encounter within eight to twelve hours. This assumes you don’t have a really drunk dog!

Conclusion on Beer

Giving any alcohol to a dog is a bad idea. The risks that you’d potentially put them through by giving them beer, which is commonly made with barley, just aren’t worth it. Enjoy time with your dog in other ways. Save the beer drinking for when you are with your human pals.

Add Your Own Answer to the Question Can I Give My Dog Some Beer? Below

Was This Article Helpful to You?
  • Yes 
  • Somewhat 
  • No 
Share This Article!

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Shawn February, 2015

Obviously we shouldn’t, but I see no harm in an occasional drink from time to time. A beer here and there never hurt anyone (actually proven to be beneficial), nor will it ever hurt a dog, scaled down of course. Brain damage, kidney and other organ failure sounds like the result of allowing a dog to get hammered frequently. I see no scientific harm in allowing a dog to enjoy a cold one from time to time, not a whole beer but 1/4 of a can or bottle.

Reply to this Comment ↑

Cameron August, 2015

Re-read the paragraph that illustrates how much smaller canine organs are compared to human organs. Allowing your pet even a small taste of anything potentially harmful, in any quantity, is not only irresponsible but falls within the bounds of cruelty. So, please stop giving your dog alcohol. It can dangerously over-tax the animal’s system and prove to be fatal for your dog.

Reply to this Comment ↑

Colin January, 2015

Surely just a non-alcoholic beer would be fine.

Reply to this Comment ↑

Emma November, 2014

A lot of people seem to have different ideas on what the answer to this question is. My neighbor’s dog once knocked over my glass of red wine and began to lap it up. We laughed about it, but stopped him right away because it just didn’t seem like a good thing for him. I’ve heard about people that let their dogs drink beer. My Dad said that he would never do it, but says that a tiny amount shouldn’t hurt them. I think that not even half a glass is an okay amount, purely because dogs are smaller than humans. The smaller you are then the more drunk you get (unless you drink all of the time). Dogs would probably also get liver cancer and such if they binge-drunk like some humans did.

Reply to this Comment ↑

Jake October, 2014

I have a English red lab that has been over 100 pounds since he was 9 months old. He will be 13 on 01/26/15. He has gotten completely hammered on multiple occasions. Some of them by him knocking over beers and drinking some because, well he’s my boy. I don’t give him any unless he wants it. I ask him “you wanna beer?” and if he barks like he does when begging for a treat then I give him one. If he does nothing then I don’t.

He has lived well past the age that even the vets thought he would because of his size. I also have a black lab that is 66 pounds of pure muscle and he doesn’t like beer at all, but he loves hard liquor like brandy. He’s only 4 yrs old but I do the same thing with him. If he don’t want it then I won’t give it to him. But then again Labs are a strong breed and I know my boys like the back of my hand. I have had both of them smashed but it’s funny how they will tell me when they have had enough. However, I would not recommend giving any drank to a dog that is a small or toy breed.

Reply to this Comment ↑

Bonnie September, 2015

I just had to comment that this is one of the greatest posts I have ever read on a thread. Good luck to you and your boys sir. What a team!

Reply to this Comment ↑

Victor October, 2014

People drink alcohol to temporarily forget their woes, unwind, “chill” and relax. Many humans are constantly hiding behind a mask and most seem unable to let their hair down and unwind without alcohol. Now ask yourself if your dog suffers from the same limitations before feeding them alcohol.

Reply to this Comment ↑

+Please Share Your Own Opinion Here+

Your email address will not be published