Last Updated on
Are you wondering if onions are really that dangerous for dogs?
It’s good that you’re checking first.
Here’s the deal:
It is 100% true. This particular vegetable is easily poisonous. You should consider onions to be toxic for your dog.
Let’s go into why this is the case, what could happen and what should be done if an incident occurs.
Dogs Should Never Eat Onions
Your buddy’s immune system could be seriously harmed.
While a tiny amount may not end up being harmful, onions really are off limits to dogs.
Be strict. Do not chance it!
Your dog could suffer quite a bit from eating just a small serving of onion. Death is possible.
Allowing even a taste would be totally irresponsible.
And it doesn’t matter how you serve them. Onions are out of the question, either cooked or raw!
FYI: Onion powder is a very bad idea as well.
Onions Are a Canine Killer
That such a common vegetable can be so deadly for pets is very concerning.
Onions rank up there with grapes, raisins and chocolate in terms of toxicity for dogs.
Table scraps are often how dogs come into contact with onions.
Just how much will do serious harm?
Honestly it’s tough to know. Let’s not find out!
What is certain is this:
Onions can cause Hemolytic Anemia which can be fatal. Thiosulphate can destroy your dog’s red blood cells.
These cells deliver oxygen to the organs (including the brain).
Warning: The liver is especially vulnerable in a canine case of Heinz Body Anemia.
Know The Many Symptoms
You may not see effects after a precious pet dog eats onions.
Days could go by before loss of appetite and/or lethargy is observed — the classic signs.
Higher amounts of onion consumption may bring on:
- Increased heart rate
- Urine color change
- Heavy breathing
- Abdominal pain
- Yellowing of gums, eyes or skin
Small dogs tend to be at a relatively higher risk of onion toxicity.
Though larger breeds may have more of a tolerate, no dogs should be allowed to consume this vegetable!
Onion Poisoning Prospects
It is very important to catch onion poisoning early on. But, sadly, there may be a lack of early symptoms.
Some form of detoxification is often necessary.
Not to sound scary but there are pets that need blood transfusions as well as oxygen therapy.
Many onion-poisoned dogs require a level of specialized care.
And close monitoring for signs of anemia is a key aspect of that.
Treatment at home?
No, not possible! Urgently head to a veterinarian.
Are Related Foods Safe?
Garlic, leeks, shallots and chives all belong to the same Allium family.
They usually are not as harmful as onions.
Nevertheless, play it safe. Simply do not feed these foods. After all, we’re talking about your beloved dog.
The Bottom Line
Never give your dog an onion of any kind.
Even recipes containing this veggie are a no-no. Many dogs have died from eating onions.
Get a vet’s help if a furry friend has consumed even a small amount. Detox treatment may be needed.
It is of upmost importance to keep onions away from the family dog.
14 thoughts on “The Terrible Truth About Feeding Your Dog Onions!”
Please help! My dog threw up multiple times this morning and last night. I asked my family if there was any reason she would throw up. My brother confessed that he dropped some onion on the floor and my dog ate it!
What do I do? If it was just a little bit will she be fine?
Hi Emily. That fact that your dog has repeatedly thrown up is a good sign. I’m thinking your dog is better now? If not, at this point, please take your dog to a vet.
Yes, my dog did get better soon after. I was so relieved! Thanks!
I’m here because I mistakenly fed my dog a small piece of pork with coating on it. I was just trying to help her feel better. I did try washing off the coating because I remembered something about seasoning and dogs.
When I went online I rediscovered all this. I looked at the coating ingredients and sure enough there’s dehydrated onion. I’m worried, but it was a small amount.
Still, she’s a small dog and I can’t bring her to the vet today. She’s not in the best of health. Please keep reminding everyone! There’re still a lot of dumb people, me included!
Why give your dog anything that is not manufactured for dogs? That’s just crazy! They are our pets, not human. Would you give dog food to a baby?
JoAnn I understand what you are saying. However, you should consider that manufactured dog food is something new, tends to be less nutritious than natural foods and certainly isn’t the only option for pets.
Something like onions are unnecessary, but fresh raw meat (with bones) is one of the best meals you can provide your dog. Is that manufactured?
I’m just thanking you for this page. I had a chicken kebab with onions and salad the night before and as I was about to give him leftovers, I remembered something about onions and dogs. So I checked and this page came up with your very useful advice and not just about onions. Once again thanks!
My mother had a dog in Mexico and he was fed onions and garlic daily. He lived 14 years. She said everyone did this. There was no special dog food, they just ate leftovers including garlic and onions.
These foods are not guaranteed to kill and many dogs are immune. Nevertheless, providing certain human foods is negligent and risky.
Our beautiful dog Sailor died after eating most of a box of dried onion soup. We did not check because he had eaten a bag of Godiva chocolate with no effects. Over five years of being with us, there were several other things he had eaten not suitable for dogs. We did not know about the poisonous effect of onions.
It was the first time we did not call or rush him to our vet. Sailor did not show any signs that night. The next morning he went to the dog park, played and ran around. At 4:00pm in the afternoon he died suddenly.
I share this fact about onions with everyone I know or meet. Very few dog owners, and/or people working at pet stores, are aware of the lethal impact of onions on dogs! We so wish we had known.
To those who have fed your dogs onions with no problems, consider yourself lucky. It’s the same as someone you may know has been smoking all their lives and are healthy as a horse.
My little dog is a Terrier and I have been feeding him household food for years, including onions and garlic. He is 15 now and healthy as a puppy.
We have fed our dog onions on hundreds of occasions. She is a medium size dog and never had any adverse reactions. She’s 10 now and fit as a fiddle.
I believe so many people are not aware of the simplest things that can kill our dogs. I try to dissuade my family members from giving our dog sour creme and onion Pringles.