Though grapes are certainly delicious and offer many health benefits for humans, do not let that fool you! They can be extremely harmful and even fatal for dogs.
Sure, grapes are nutritious. They contain vitamins A, B and C. Unsuspecting owners, unfortunately, sometimes consider this fruit to be harmless and readily share some with their dogs. Don’t be that pet parent!
There are very serious health risks associated with feeding this otherwise healthy food to a pet dog. Kidney failure is a real possibility. Grapes, whether the green or red variety, are among the most dangerous fruits for Fido.
Can I Give My Dog Grapes? Answer: No, never!
They’re great for people but can be extremely toxic for a four-legged friend.
While many dogs are actually immune to the harmful effects of grapes, you don’t want to find out if your pet is susceptible or not! Even a small amount can cause complications, most notably rapid kidney failure. In serious cases of grape poisoning, without signs of improvement, vets often suggest putting the dog down. Grapes can cause a slow and painful death, so it’s very important to keep them out of reach. This goes for raisins as well.
If you want to safely incorporate some fruit into your dog’s diet then consider a high-quality fruity snack made specifically for canines.
Canine Curiosity Can Kill
Dogs are curious beasts so be sure to watch their surroundings closely. For example, a vine of grapes could be growing in your neighbor’s yard which may be in your dog’s vicinity. Further, as a pet owner you cannot keep a fresh bowl of this fruit sitting on your kitchen counter-top. Again, not all dogs will react terribly to grapes. In fact, more than half will experience no adverse reaction. Just play it safe!
Why are Grapes So Toxic?
Speaking of curiosity, let’s take a look at why grapes are so darn dangerous for dogs. Well, unfortunately nobody has any idea why! It’s a sort of phenomenon that the experts cannot fully explain. What we do know is that acute renal failure can occur in some dogs following grape consumption. Such an attack on the kidneys can be quite abrupt and deadly.
Avoid a Grave Grape Mishap
Know what to look for if you suspect grape poisoning. This way you can react quickly when time is of the essence. If your dog has diarrhea, or is vomiting, that’s indicative of the first signs. Other important symptoms are a lack of appetite, stomachache, lethargy or general weakness and little to no urination.
Ideally you want your dog to vomit in order to reduce grape absorption by the kidneys. That’s why activated charcoal can be useful. Another technique is to introduce fluids, often intravenously, as a way to flush out and replace tainted vital fluids.
Getting a veterinary professional’s help is the best course of action when a dog is suffering from grape poisoning.
Planning For Emergencies
When you suspect something is wrong with your dog, phone your veterinarian and see what they recommend. They may advise a visit to an emergency vet hospital depending on the severity and other factors. If the grape poisoning is serious then access to good medical equipment could very well save your dog’s life.
Yes, grape consumption could absolutely warrant such action. Dogs have a higher chance of survival if put on certain medications as well as an IV drip following severe grape toxicity. If you rushed your dog in, after they’ve eaten many grapes, take heart that you did the right thing.
Conclusion on Grapes
Never give any kind of grapes, seeded or seedless, to your dog. They may be toxic and could cause suffering or even a terrible death. If some grapes were accidentally eaten you should seek veterinary help, though not every dog reacts negatively. If they are poisonous for your dog, the severity of symptoms can vary and the situation could be quite urgent. Avoid exposing your dog to grapes in the first place!