Can I Give My Dog Coffee?

Can I Give My Dog Coffee?Drinking fluids with caffeine, like coffee, can keep us from falling asleep. But often times, when we stop drinking it, we get something called caffeine withdraws because the body can become addicted. You don’t want your dog addicted to anything!

We consume caffeine without even realizing it. In the morning, we have our 8-12 ounce cup of coffee before leaving for work. At lunch, we get a hot or iced sweet tea. If we are tired, we get an energy or ice coffee. Surely, you know that your dog shouldn’t live like this.

What we do not realize is the amount off caffeine that has been consumed, not to mention if you have had a chocolate bar or a chocolate doughnut. Then before we go to bed we wonder why we cannot fall asleep. Some adjustments may need to be made.

Can I Give My Dog Coffee? Answer: Not Recommended

Just like alcohol, it’s toxic to dogs.

Coffee and the caffeine it contains can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, tremors and overall depression of the nervous system. Drinks like coffee also affect the heart and prove fatal for canines in higher levels.

Dogs should never consume coffee. Be sure that your dog never has an opportunity to get into any coffee beans or your own Cup of Joe. If they do somehow get coffee in their system, watch them closely for signs requiring medical attention.

Caffeine Concern & Canines

Caffeine is a strong stimulant and it shares a few traits with drugs like amphetamines, cocaine and even heroin. It can stimulate brain function just like other drugs. So, after a few shots of espresso or a pot of coffee, you may feel like your mind and pulse rate is speeding.

Your dog doesn’t know what foods or drinks to consume. They depend on you, the owner. Any foods or drinks with caffeine should always be avoided. Severe cases could actually be fatal. Foods typically containing some levels of caffeine are coffee, tea, chocolate, energy drinks among others.

A lethal dose of caffeine for most dogs is somewhere around 140mg per kilogram of weight. Interestingly, meat contains naturally occurring caffeine but usually not in high enough concentrations to be of concern.

If your dog is suffering from caffeine poisoning it can be quite serious and you should seek veterinary assistance as soon as possible.

Big Chocolate Warning

So we all know that our dogs shouldn’t eat chocolate for several reasons. It turns out that it also contains caffeine as well as a stimulant diuretic called Theobromine which affects the cardiovascular and central nervous systems. Indigestion of chocolate could cause death. If you think your dog has eaten any chocolate a trip to the vet is absolutely necessary.

Signs of chocolate consumption are similar to coffee or caffeine poisoning and may include vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle tremors, increased urination and increased heart rate. Obviously, just because it’s dangerous to your dog’s health doesn’t mean they won’t like it. In fact, most dogs love the taste of chocolate.

Foods Dogs Should Avoid

Other foods that your dog should not eat are avocados (they contain persin, a highly toxic substance), fat trimmings (too much fat causes pancreatitis), grapes or raisins (they cause kidney damage and death if eaten in a high doses), dairy products (these can cause diarrhea in approximately 50% of canines), onions and garlic (these can cause anemia) and salty foods (salt isn’t good for any of us).

Table foods should be kept to a minimum unless your vet tells you otherwise. If you notice a change in your dog’s behavior, after introducing a new food or if they may have gotten into something, contact your vet immediately since it could be fatal.

Conclusion on Coffee

Never give your dog any coffee or related beverage. It’s like giving them alcohol or other dangerous drugs. The answer is just that simple and there are no exceptions. Dogs are mostly helpless when it comes to dieting and exercise habits. It’s up to the owners to be sure they’re getting the proper care. Coffee or any form of caffeine is a big no-no!

Add Your Own Answer to the Question Can I Give My Dog Coffee? Below

Was This Article Helpful to You?
  • Yes 
  • Somewhat 
  • No 
Share This Article!

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Danny September, 2015

When I was young we had a 100 pound Lab female. My Mother would share the end of her coffee with our dog Midnight nearly every night. I guess this started at at about 5-6 years old. She never showed any nervousness or odd behavior. Midnight lived till the age of 16. Now I have another Lab but no coffee for her.

Reply to this Comment ↑

Mary July, 2015

Last night my 15 pound, 11 year old mini Schnauzer consumed a half-mug (about 6 fluid ounces) of strong black tea with milk. I was unaware of it until this morning but I could not fail to notice his behavior. He was extremely hyperactive, restless, with lots of moaning and short sharp barks. I got up several times, refilled his food bowl, refreshed his water, let him out and back in several times.

However, he did not settle down. Toward morning he dozed a little. When I realized he had drunk up the mug, I knew that he had suffered from caffeine poisoning. I think his abdomen looks a bit enlarged, as if his pancreas is affected. I shall take him to the vet today.

Reply to this Comment ↑

Troy June, 2015

Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant, not a depressant. Like other stimulants, such as amphetamines or cocaine, it has side effects such as diuresis (excess urine production) and dehydration as a consequence. It can also alter perceptions and brain function, leading to behavioral problems.

Reply to this Comment ↑

Rebecca April, 2015

My dog once ate a 1/4 of a cup of coffee grounds. She had to be at the pet hospital for 3 weeks because she was poisoned from the coffee. So unless you want to pay a lot of money to fix your dog, I wouldn’t!

Reply to this Comment ↑

+Please Share Your Own Opinion Here+

Your email address will not be published