Alka Seltzer has been around since the 1930’s but it wasn’t developed for dogs. Initially it was advertised as an antacid only. Today, this formula is also marketed to be pain reliever which creates some confusion.
It actually does help to relieve minor aches, inflammation, hangovers and even fever. Alka Seltzer usually is taken in tablet form which is dissolved in a glass of water that you drink. This bubbly concoction needs to be well understood before you administer it to any dog since you could painfully regret doing so.
While dogs can experience hyper acidity like us, this doesn’t mean you can treat them in the same way. Alka-Seltzer is an effective remedy for people but not for canines. Many dog owners are unaware of the safety issues regarding over-the-counter medications such as these. It’s very important to learn the facts beforehand and we’ll do that right here.
Can I Give My Dog Alka Seltzer? Answer: No
You cannot give your dog any Alka Seltzer. The medication may seem harmless and your dog may not mind it, but it contains harmful substances that can seriously harm your pet.
Different types of Alka Seltzer tablets contain varying ingredient formulations. There are those that contain aspirins which can damage the stomach lining of your dog. Other types contain citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. Although these are not very toxic, high doses can still be harmful for your dog’s stomach.
Further, the Acetaminophen (Tylenol) content in some forms of Alka-Seltzer is considered to be even more dangerous. This ingredient often has toxic effects in dogs. It can even kill your pet, sometimes instantly.
Accidental Alka Seltzer
If your pet dog has ingested Alka Seltzer, in any dose, you should call a vet so that proper treatment can be administered at the earliest. Animal Poison Control may also be contacted in order to get advice on how to best handle the situation.
Getting the toxic matter out of a dog’s system, by inducing vomiting, may be the best course of action. You can do this by giving your pet dog hydrogen peroxide so the poison can more easily be expelled. Although this remedy is best applied immediately, you can still attempt it even if a few hours have already lapsed. Please read about other veterinarian treatments below.
Tip: Feed your dog some bread first, so as to minimize upsetting their stomach when vomiting is induced.
Signs of Poisoning & Treatment
Vomiting and diarrhea are two of the most common signs of poisoning in dogs. These symptoms can be present in a reaction to Alka-Seltzer as well. Other worrying signs are labored breathing, low body temperature and a change in the color of the dog’s gums. Also listen for rumbling in their stomach as it may be a sign that your dog’s stomach lining is irritated. Since these things are difficult to self diagnose, you really should call a vet.
Poisoning cases can be life threatening and any delay on your part can prove risky. Your dog needs medical attention as soon as possible if exposed to toxic medicines like Alka Seltzer. Often dogs undergo a total blood count, a urinalysis and a complete profile of chemicals in the blood in order to determine the level of this type of serious toxicity.
An activated charcoal treatment can be administered. This can absorb the poisonous elements inside the dog’s body. Intravenous fluids can also be used on your furry friend. This will keep your pet’s body well hydrated to combat the effects of the poison. When your dog has recovered, some additional blood work may still be required to rule out any presence of leftover toxins.
Tips for Preventing
Some dogs will chew on anything they see lying around and this includes medicines. Make sure that all human medicines, including Alka Seltzer, are stored properly and kept inside canine inaccessible cabinets. With so many cases of dog poisoning caused by intake of human medicines, pet owners should take extra precautions to make sure their beloved dogs aren’t exposed to such preventable dangers.
Your dog should never be given Alka Seltzer whether intentionally or accidentally. This particular type of human medication can be very harmful to your pet. Quite simply it can kill your dog due to the toxic ingredients it contains.